Sunday, March 6, 2016

Gaia's First Stage Show

It was a big week for Gaia, she was in a play for the first time. She learned the lines and lyrics for 2 supporting roles, spent 24 hours in rehearsals over 5 days, helped me create her costumes & finally performed on stage in front of a crowd.

We are positively bursting with pride. It must also be said that I'm quite proud of myself too, it was a very demanding week for parents too. But I manged not only to keep my cool all week, I also found the fun and actually enjoyed costume making with Gaia. Unbeknowns to her I was fa-reaking out that we wouldn't finish her costumes in time...but I took notice of the little voice reminding me that my daughter doesn't want perfect costumes (especially if it comes with a grumpy mother) and instead I soaked up some mother/daughter bonding as we finished the costumes together the night before. Gaia used a sewing machine for the first time and made use of her hand sewing skills to complete her outfits and she also had the pleasure of making a fairy wand.

It was a thrill to see the kids put on a show with such determination and joy. I'm wondering how we can find more opportunities for Gaia to stretch her thespian muscles in the future (though I'm in no rush to make another costume!). 


No comments: