Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Conversation From the Sugar Free Front Line

Scene: An eight year old wears a sour facial expression and refuses to speak to her mother.
Mother: Are you mad at me because the other girls got a lollipop and you didn't?
Her: (nods her head in affirmation)
Mother: That's okay, I can take it. I know it's not fair. But your health matters to me. I want you to grow up strong and healthy and live for a long time. And I know that sugar hurts your immune system and your body is fighting off a cold right now. A lollipop would make it harder for your body to beat the virus.

(She remains silent. Her mother starts the car and they continue to sit in silence until)
Mother: It isn't fair that they bring lollies to share at a sporting event. Last season everyone brought fruit. Nobody checked for allergies or special dietary needs beforehand this season either.
Her: I liked when they brought oranges and watermelon, it was fun licking the juice off my hands after games.
Mother: Well how about we bring fruit next week? I can make sure we always pack something that isn't sugary to share with everyone and that way you're not left out.
Her (smiling): Yes!
Mother: Can you think of some snacks that aren't sugary that you'd like to have on the sidelines?
Her: Olives! And cheese! And apple slices (can you slice it so it's easy to share?). And strawberries!
Mother: Okay, okay! Slow down, you're building quite a list. Let's keep it simple.
Her: Alright, just olives and cheese (she grins)
Mother: Olives and cheese it is.
Her: I love olives, they're my favourite fruit, they're delicious. Hey Mum?
Mother: Yes?
Her: Can we also take apple slices?
(A glance at the rear view mirror reveals a very big grin and hopeful eyes which cannot be resisted)
Mother: Sure.
Her: Make sure you bring a lot of olives, because everyone will want to eat a lot.


End scene with eight year old happily moving on to other topics of conversation, without receiving sugar or the promise of sugar to come. Mother feels like magical wizard (and silently chuckles to self that her low-sugar daughter thinks olives are up there with lollies in the minds of all her peers).

No comments: